Areas of Expertise
Employment - Compromise Agreements
We anticipate that our client's will be aiming to manage dismissals most effectively in accordance with its documented procedures, to protect from unnecessary down-time as well as reducing the risk of a dispute in the Tribunals. We have wide experience in this area. We also anticipate these agreements may be used as a confidential means of resolving sensitive issues that often need to be addressed.
We have wide experience and knowledge of the issues relating to the termination of employment. Our experience includes:
• advice on liability
• advice on the structure of termination payments
• taxation advice
• review and preparation of post-termination covenants to protect the business, and
• addressing issues such as confidentiality and intellectual property.
Recent instructions include:
• Negotiating terms of a Compromise Agreement for a building services supplier with a former director/employee for £5,000 less than the amount previously offered by the client.
• Advising a well known international technology services company on a claim brought by a former employee for wrongful dismissal, unfair dismissal and sex discrimination. Claims were settled by way of a Compromise Agreement for less than half the amount the client had been prepared to pay.
• Advising a Scottish newspaper publishing and printing company on collective redundancy obligations arising from the introduction of new technology in its business. The advice included the preparation and implementation of Compromise Agreements.
• Advising a UK manufacturer of silicon wafers on the reorganisation of its workforce following a downturn in business. The advice related to redundancy procedures and selection criteria, preparation and implementation of Compromise Agreements.