Employment & Immigration | Immigration
Our Immigration practice is an essential service for our international clients who want to locate in the UK, and for businesses based in the UK who want to employ skilled workers from outside the European Union.
The spectrum of immigration law and practice covers the following areas:
- Visitors and business visitors, and sole representatives of overseas firms that have no branch or representative in the UK.
- High-value migrants including entrepreneurs who wish to set up a new business or to participate in an existing business in the UK (investing not less than £200,000 in the business).
- Skilled workers with a job offer to fill gaps in the UK labour force, whether intra-company transfers from overseas or the current equivalent of work permits.
- Temporary workers who come to the UK to satisfy primarily non- economic objectives, and other categories such as creative and sporting visitors, charity workers, religious workers, individuals coming to the UK under a contract that is covered by international law and diplomats.
- Switching between different categories, and applying for extensions of stay and for settlement.
- The investor category, where an individual (including his dependants) wishes to live at least 186 days a year in the UK. The Investor has to show that he has at least £2 million to bring into the UK and within three months of entry, he invests at least £750,000 in active UK trading companies. This can lead to settlement after five years.
+ Notable Work
- Establishing a subsidiary company for a financial futures trading operation based in the US to be staffed initially entirely by executives and workers from their US operation and, subsequently, by workers from the local labour force.
- Following our acting for our US client on the acquisition of a specialist metals distribution business in the UK, advising on bringing executive and financial workforce members over from the US to manage the handover and subsequent management of the acquired business.
- Advising an international employment consultancy business, with offices in 28 countries worldwide, and businesses involved in the automotive industry and in sports marketing and PR, on their hiring of overseas skilled workers and on intra-company transfers.
- Advising UK-based businesses in design and technology which are unable to find within the European Union the calibre of worker required for the job, and who therefore need to look outside the European Union for their skilled workers.
- Overseas businesses who wish to have a permanent representative in the UK for liaison reasons and to benefit from having a presence in the UK. Our clients with this requirement have been in a variety of industries, including oil and gas extraction, oil and gas extraction plant and equipment, commodities trading, clothing manufacture, software design manufacture and support, cloud technology, event organisers and film promotion and finance.