Barney is a Partner in the Commercial and Corporate team in our Manchester office, where he has been based for the last twenty years. His work centres on the acquisition, development and disposal of small and medium-sized businesses in a variety of industry sectors.
In particular his work includes:
- corporate finance: asset finance, acquisition finance, and equity participation/investment (working for both the investing fund and the investee company) and general banking
- transactional work: acquisitions/disposals, joint ventures, management buyin/buyout
- corporate governance: company secretarial, private company Companies Act compliance
- shareholder and partnership disputes
Barney has vast experience of many different sectors, including retail, bars and leisure, telecoms, recruitment, online trading and IT.
- acquisition of global retail brand from listed vendor
- shareholder dispute relating to large family owned and controlled private limited company
- sale of one of Europe’s leading internet retail children’s party goods supplier to a national US company
- purchase of an Irish environmental emissions testing business
- adviser to the North West Fund, the largest European Investment Bank fund in the North West
- shareholder dispute relating to a BVI group of companies (including Hong Kong and European companies)
- shareholder dispute relating to a freight forwarding group of companies with international subsidiaries
- sale of a nuclear and asbestos testing business to a listed purchaser
- sale of an international textile software business to a listed purchaser