Lawrence is an experienced construction, projects and commercial lawyer, advising the private and public sectors in the UK and overseas on property developments, infrastructure, power and energy projects, and commercial transactions. He advises from project inception, to completion and implementation.
He has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating construction and joint venture documentation on ECP, BOT and BOOT projects and amending industry standard form construction and engineering contracts, including; JCT, NEC, FIDIC, and IChemE.
Lawrence advises on the construction and project management aspects of projects including PFI/PPP projects across a variety of sectors including; health, leisure, education, defense, and local authorities.
He provides regular lectures to industry professionals, service providers, investors and industry bodies, on establishing risk profiles and successful project delivery.
- consortium and joint venture partners
Lawrence is recognised in Legal 500 for his expertise in Real Estate: Construction, Chambers as a “Leader in the field” within Construction: Purchaser and is listed in Legal Experts, published by Legal Business, as an authority in Construction.
Lawrence has acted:
- for developers on a number of high profile retail, office and housing developments in London and the UK
- for the developer on the redevelopment of Kings Cross and St Pancras Station
- the developer on the redevelopment of a town centre
- for UK and foreign banks on property and infrastructure projects
- for a TOC (Railway Operator) on a substantial number of engineering and maintenance contracts
- for a hotel operator on the refurbishment programme for its existing hotels and a number of new builds
- on PFI projects in the UK and Europe for both the public and private sectors
- for Transport for London –on a due diligence exercise for TfL on 6 major PFI/PPP projects
- on an ICC Arbitration on a power station dispute
- for contractors and employers on Adjudication and Court proceedings in the TCC, and on mediation hearings
- expert determination - acting for contractor on a quantum dispute
+ EPC/FIDIC experience
- EPC and JV arrangements on renewable and solar projects
- EPC contract and JV agreement a CCGT Power Station in Mexico
- EPC contract and JV agreement for a Power Plant in Spain
- EPC contract and JV agreement for the 400MW Cristobal gas turbine combined-cycle power plant in Spain
- EPC contract for a power cable between France and the Channel Islands.
- EPC contract for an LNG Terminal at Rotterdam
- EPC contract for the refurbishment of a power plant on Ascension Island.
- drafting of the EPC framework agreement for the refurbishment of gas fired and electric power stations in South Africa and Iraq
- preparation of the EPCM contract, the EPC contracts and ancillary construction documentation for the construction of an 825MW hydroelectric and transmission project including a dam, a maritime link, and the necessary infrastructure in Canada
+ Contentious experience
- acting for contractors, developers, sub-contractors, construction professionals and insurers on a variety of construction and engineering disputes whether by way of mediation, adjudication, arbitration or expert determination
- Balfour Beatty v Chestermount – C.A.
- road dispute arbitration in India for a UK Contractor
Lawrence is a regular public speaker both in the UK and overseas and contributes articles on construction law and on PPP’s.
Recent examples include:
- invited by the Ugandan Finance Ministry to lecture in Kampala on PFI/PPP projects
- lectured to Nigerian Engineers on contractual structures for engineering projects
- speaker at the Construction Law Summer School
- lectured at King’s College, London for 5 years on Construction Law
- published in International Construction Law review (ICLR)
- lectured on Strategic Issues and Project Agreements in Canada
- guest speaker at a Symposium in Vienna on international projects
- contributed two chapters to “Public Private Partnerships” published by LexisNexus
Tel: +44 (0)20 7842 8000
DDI: +44 (0)20 7842 8062