Neil is the head of our Land Development group in our Guildford Office, specialising in the acquisition of asset acquisition and development land, and non-contentious planning. He has over 30 years’ experience in dealing with such matters including:
- Land Acquisitions
outright acquisition, options, land disposals between developers and registered social landlords, development agreements with local authorities and other public bodies and Promotion Agreements
acting for landowners dealing with developers, granting options, entering into promotion agreements and dealing with sales of development land
development agreements with local authorities and other public bodies under Section 106 of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 and similar legislation, and ancillary advice regarding planning and other matters affecting the control of the development
Neil acts for a number of national local developers, and has acted for substantial landowners in relation to disposal of matters.
Examples of Neil’s most recent work can be found on the links below:
Neil has over 30 years’ experience acting for residential developers, and dealing with land disposals for landowners.
Recent work in this area includes:
- acting for a consortium of developers in securing options for a substantial expansion of a new town involving issues of equalising land values, phasing of acquisition and provision of infrastructure
- acting for a consortium of landowners in relation to the disposal of land as the larger part of a major strategic site for 1500 dwellings for a major development in Surrey, including addressing issues relating to safeguarding retained land, accommodation works and protecting the Sellers’ interest and securing deferred instalment of the price
- acting for a substantial local manufacturer in relation to the disposal of surplus factory accommodation to a national house builder on a conditional contract, including advising regarding the planning agreement entered into to procure that the agreement became unconditional and the sale completed
- acting for a major developer as land promoter in securing a substantial site for over 750 units under a promotion agreement including provisions relating to the equalisation of land value, phasing of disposal and planning obligations
Neil acts for developers and landowners in relation to the negotiation and agreement of planning agreements under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and associated legislation. He has over three decades of experience in acting for residential developers in ensuring that the legitimate commercial interest of the developer are protected whilst complying with the limitations of planning policy, and to ensure that the developer client retains marketable title to the land subject to the planning obligations.
Recent work in this area includes:
- acting for the developer in relation to securing a Section 106 Agreement for a scheme of 1500 dwellings in Docklands including provisions of a school and community facilities and substantial affordable housing provisions
- acting in connection with securing a Section 106 Agreement for planning permission for an extension of Cambourne New Town to provide another 950 units, including provision of new infrastructure and community facilities to enhance those provided in the first phase of development of the new town
- acting for promoters in relation to two substantial Greenfield sites in Essex for over 750 and over 500 units respectively, including provision of substantial off-site highway works and social facilities and applying the restrictions in the Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations when formulating the obligations