Robert advises clients on all aspects of their intellectual property rights, from brand strategy though to protection, commercialisation and enforcement.
Robert’s IP practice includes:
- advising on registrability, availability and suitability of proposed brand names as trade marks
- developing brand protection strategies nationally and globally
- reviewing marketing and branding material, including packaging and devices (logos)
- advising in contentious matters including trade mark oppositions andinfringements and design infringements, as well as domain name and copyright disputes
His clients include:
- software companies and app developers
- luxury brands
- food and beverage manufacturers including beers, wines and spirits
- fashion designers
- perfumery brands
- pharmaceuticals manufacturers
- logistics companies
- professional service firms including insurance and finance brands
- recording artists
Robert’s recent work includes:
- securing the withdrawal of a global beverage company’s trade mark application in opposition proceedings
- overcoming multiple grounds for refusal in UK and EU trade mark applications deemed to be devoid of distinctive character
- overcoming relative grounds for refusal at the Irish Patents Office
- achieving a substantial financial settlement for an infringed party, despite no loss or account of profits
Robert read Modern Languages as his first degree, and speaks fluent French. He later qualified in international marketing and holds the Diploma of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, and the Diplôme Supérieur of the Paris International Chamber of Commerce.
Before entering the legal profession and qualifying as a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney, Robert specialised in brand creation, developing numerous international product names for a wide spectrum of clients.