Real Estate | Investment & Commercial Development
With commercial property rents rising and yields hardening, the inflow of money into commercial property investments remains strong, although the availability of debt will continue to affect the market. Lack of supply will fuel the development of new product. Overseas investors continue to target the UK property market as an attractive jurisdiction in which to place their money.
It is essential that the value of commercial property investments are underpinned by properties with good titles, with all necessary rights and planning permissions, and with risks raised by environmental, highways and construction issues properly managed and regulatory aspects understood and properly addressed. Tax issues, including SDLT savings and allowances available, may be an essential element of the property investment and development criteria.
Our dynamic and commercial property team has a real insight into the key issues in property investment transactions, but this is only part of the story. Every client is different and we work with each client to understand their objectives. Our cross-discipline teams can identifying the right deal structures then provide the essential advice and high quality due diligence effective and speedily to achieve our clients’ objectives, minimising risk and maximising returns.
+ Our work
Our work includes:
- Sales and purchases
- Sales and leasebacks
- Portfolio management
- Tax planning
Commercial property investment and development often work hand in hand, involving development of new products and refurbishing existing buildings. Our teams provide the dynamic property advice which is required as well as delivering the practical solutions to drafting and negotiation of construction contracts and appointments, together with ancillary documentation such as warranties, bonds and guarantees.
Tax structuring is an essential element of both investment acquisitions and development and our tax team is highly experienced in delivery of key tax solutions. With clients comprising builders, property developers, main contractors, specialist contractors, trade and professional associations, local authorities and professional consultants we are well placed to deliver essential advice. But when things don’t work out we have the capability to bring our considerable dispute resolution experience to bear in resolving contractual and other disputes.
+ Notable Work
- Acting on behalf of a developer regarding the forward sale of student halls of residence, including negotiating the development agreement. We advised on the construction contract and professional team appointments for the design and construction, tying those obligations specifically to the forward funding arrangements
- Acting for a developer on the planning of construction contracts and professional team appointments for a 4 star hotel development with residential apartments and offices adjoining
- Acting for a non-UK individual in the acquisition of a London residence for a consideration of around £25m
- Acting for investors in the buying and selling of leasehold properties in the fast-moving London BTL market
- Acting for developers in a marina and mixed use development scheme on the South Coast of England