Employment & Immigration | Settlement Agreements
Settlement agreements can provide certainty and may be used to resolve sensitive issues and disputes.
We advise and assist on all aspects of the Settlement Agreement process from first raising the prospect of an agreement to its implementation.
We manage dismissals most effectively in accordance with its documented procedures, to protect from unnecessary down-time as well as reducing the risk of a dispute in the Tribunals. We have wide experience in this area. We also anticipate these agreements may be used as a confidential means of resolving sensitive issues that often need to be addressed.
Our experience includes:
- advice on liability
- advice on the structure of termination payments
- taxation advice
- review and preparation of post-termination covenants to protect the business, and
- addressing issues such as confidentiality and intellectual property.
+ Recent instructions include
- Negotiating terms of a Settlement Agreement for a building services supplier with a former director/employee for £5,000 less than the amount previously offered by the client
- Advising a well known international technology services company on a claim brought by a former employee for wrongful dismissal, unfair dismissal and sex discrimination. Claims were settled by way of a Settlement Agreement for less than half the amount the client had been prepared to pay
- Advising a Scottish newspaper publishing and printing company on collective redundancy obligations arising from the introduction of new technology in its business. The advice included the preparation and implementation of Settlement Agreements
- Advising a UK manufacturer of silicon wafers on the reorganisation of its workforce following a downturn in business. The advice related to redundancy procedures and selection criteria, preparation and implementation of Settlement Agreements